The Italian restaurants of Big Mamma, Gloria and Circolo Popolare have been hugely successful since their opening. Serving quality Italian food at great prices and in huge portions, they have a legion of followers here.
A third restaurant is on the way, and they’re currently delivering across London with the Napoli Gang – with their towering lemon tart a signature dish.
The following recipe is a Big Mamma Italian classic, and is normally served in a huge pecorino wheel at Gloria in Shoreditch.
the Gran carbonara – for 4 People
You heard right – real Italian carbonara sauce is made without cream. Chef Filippo La Gattuta puts on a show by serving it straight from a large wheel of pecorino at London’s Gloria trattoria.
- 3 whole eggs and 6 egg yolks 90 g/3 oz (1 cup) grated pecorino cheese
- 90 g/3 oz (1 cup) grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 400g/14oz spaghetti
- 8 slices of guanciale (cured cheek/pork cheek), thinly sliced
- In a bowl, mix the whole eggs and egg yolks with the pecorino, parmesan and pepper. Put aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to package directions, then drain, reserving the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, add the guanciale slices to a dry frying pan (frying pan) over medium heat and sear for 5 minutes or until crispy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the pasta cooking water, then the spaghetti.
- Remove the pan from the fire. Add the egg mixture and mix vigorously. The eggs should not overcook and the consistency of the sauce should be creamy.
- Transfer to a large serving platter and serve immediately.
Big Mamma’s La Cucina Popolare puts a smart contemporary spin on tradition with over 120 delicious, easy-to-prepare and imaginative recipes. Created in collaboration with one of the most exciting and successful Italian restaurant groups in the world, the dishes in this vibrant and accessible book include true classics such as Risotto alla Milanese and Tiramisù, while others reflect the most creative Italian cuisine today, with dishes named Burrata Flower Power and Double Choco Love.
The one thing that unites them all is that everything is given a fresh, modern twist – making this the perfect collection of recipes for a new generation of food lovers and Italophiles.
Buy a copy at the bookstore
Plus, win a copy of the book and a Pecorino wheel!
Want to prepare this dish in the best possible way? Here’s how to enter.
Learn more about Gloria and Circolo Popolare
Where are they? Shoreditch and Fitzrovia
Learn more: Visit their website or follow them on Instagram @bigmamma.uk
Subscribe to be the first to receive Hot Dinners news